Richard H. Adler is a 1980 honors graduate of Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C., where he received his Juris Doctorate degree. He was called to the Bar in Washington State that same year.
Mr. Adler is the founding principal of Adler ♦ Giersch ps, a law firm dedicated exclusively to representing victims of traumatic brain, spinal trauma, joint injuries, and musculoskeletal trauma.
He has served as Chairman and President of the Brain Injury Association of Washington (BIA-WA) from 2003-2009, and currently serves as Chairman of its Executive Board. He is credited with turning around the BIA-WA’s organization with initiatives to implement BIA-WA’s mission of prevention, education, support, and advocacy for brain injury survivors and their caregivers. He led the BIA-WA’s Advocacy Committee and organized a powerful coalition of healthcare, businesses, sports, and community partners to enact the “Zackery Lystedt Law,” named after his client. This is the first-in-the-nation law that “prevents preventable brain injuries” of young athletes by requiring medical clearance before returning to practice or competition following a concussion. This law is now used as model legislation in other states in the United States and has been endorsed throughout the country by medical, legal, sports leaders and organization.
Mr. Adler has authored many publications on traumatic injuries for attorneys, healthcare providers, and the injured. His most recent book, From Injury to Action: Navigating Your Personal Injury Claim, joins other top-rated writings including Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury: A Guide for Survivors and Families; Spinal Trauma and the Personal Injury Case; and The Medical-Legal Aspects of Soft Tissue Injuries.
Mr. Adler is frequently an invited speaker on insurance law, personal injury law, traumatic brain injury and expert testimony to attorneys, medical doctors, chiropractors, physical therapist, psychologists, and massage therapists.
The law firm of Adler ♦ Giersch ps and Mr. Adler are “AV rated,” the highest rating available as established in a confidential survey of other attorneys conducted by Martindale-Hubbell. He is an invited member of the Million Dollar Advocate Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocate Forum, organizations of the top trial lawyers in America. He has also received the Pro Bono Award from the Washington State Bar Association every year since 2003 for his commitment and leadership in providing legal services to those in need.
In 2008, Mr. Adler received the President’s Award from the American Massage Therapy Association, an award reserved for those who have advanced the profession of massage therapy statewide. In 2009, he was the first attorney ever to receive an award from the American College of Sports Medicine, the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization, for “protecting the health and safety of young athletes,” for his leadership and advocacy of the Zackery Lystedt Law. Also, he has been a featured attorney profiled in the King County Bar Association’s journal, King County Bar Bulletin, in November 2009. That same year, he was given the Advocacy Award by the Brain Injury Association of Washington for his exemplary legal representation and advocacy for those with traumatic brain injury. In 2010, Seattle Metropolitan Magazine listed him as a “Top Lawyer” in personal injury law. Recently, Mr. Adler was awarded the prestigious Jefferson Award in Washington State presented by the Seattle City Club and he was selected to the Washington State SuperLawyers™.
Mr. Adler is licensed to practice law in federal court and all jurisdictions in the State of Washington. He is a participating member of the Washington Bar Association, Washington State Association of Justice (Eagle Status), American Association for Justice, and Brain Injury Association of Washington.
Mr. Adler enjoys spending time with his spouse and two daughters. He also enjoys a good glass of red wine (medicinal purposes), travel, food, and sports.
1. “10″ out of “10″ Superb Rating and Client’s Choice Awards on www.Avvo.com
3. “Av Rated” by Martindale Hubbell: Highest rating available through confidential survey of attorney-peers (2008-Current)
4. Multi-Million Dollar Advocate Forum: Top Trial Lawyers in American (2010 – Current)
5. Selected to Washington SuperLawyers™ (2012, 2013)
6. “Advocacy Award,” Brain Injury Association of Washington for “Exemplary legal representation and advocacy for those with traumatic brain injury.” (2009)
American College of Sports Medicine’s Award “For protecting the health and safety of young athletes” (first attorney to receive an award from ACSM) (2009)
7. Selected for Inclusion in Legal Leaders Top Rated Lawyers – Insurance Law 2013
8. Washington State Jefferson Award, SeattleCityClub (2012)
9. “President’s Award,” for “providing the highest quality legal presentation and legendary service through advocacy, accessibility and knowledge.” American Massage Therapy Association – Washington Chapter (2008)
10. Washington State Association for Justice Eagle Member
11. “Steward” Award, Massage Therapy Foundation (2011)
12. “Giving a Voice to Others,” Featured Attorney, King County Bar Bulletin (2009)
13. Pro-Bono Public Service Commendation, Washington State Bar Association (2003-2012)
- R. Adler, M. Carter, J. Gent, A. Leritz. Understanding Medical and Treatment Concepts and Terms. Word Association Press (2013)
- R. Adler. From Injury to Action: Navigating Your Personal Injury Claim. Second Edition. Word Association Press (2012)
- R. Adler, M. Carter, J. Gent, A. Leritz. Understanding Legal and Insurance Concepts and Terms. Word Association Press (2012)
- R. Adler. “Youth Sports and Concussions: Preventing Preventable Brain Injuries. One Client, One Cause, and A New Law” Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics - Youth Sports and Concussions. Nov 2011 Vol. 22 No. 4
- R. Adler, S. Herring. “Changing the Culture of Concussion: Education Meets Legislation.” PM&R Vol. 3, S468-S470, October 2011
- R. Adler. From Injury to Action: Navigating Your Personal Injury Claim. Second Edition. Word Association Press (2012)
- R. Adler. From Injury to Action: Navigating Your Personal Injury Claim (2011)
- R. Adler, Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury: A Guide for Survivors and Families (2006)
- R. Adler, Whiplash, Spinal Trauma, and the Personal Injury Case (1995 – Current)
- R. Adler, “Medical Aspects of Soft Tissue Injuries,” Handling Motor Vehicle Accident (1990); Clark-Boardman Publishers
- Editor, The Advocate, Monthly Publication on Medical-Legal-Insurance (1990-Current)
- R. Adler, Survival Guide: Chiropractic Practice Guidelines (1993)
- Understanding and Responding to Common Cross Examination (video)November 2001.
- Testimony: Deposition and Trial (video), October 1993.
- “Introduction to Personal Injury and Insurance Law for New Massage Therapists,” “Understanding Personal Injury and Insurance Law,” and “How to Get Paid in a Personal Injury Claim.” American Massage Therapy Association – Washington Chapter Annual Convention. Yakima, WA. (2013)
- “Navigating the Personal Injury Claim for Today’s Healthcare Professional.” Adler Giersch PS. Bellevue, WA. (2013)
“Youth Sports and Concussions: Preventing Preventable Brain Injuries. One Client,
One Case, and a New Law.” Puget Sound Spine Interest Group. Seattle, WA (2013)
- “Brain Injury, Adversity, and Never Ever Giving Up,” Third Annual Santa Clara Valley Brain Injury Conference. San Jose, CA. (2013)
- ” Practical and Legal Implications of the Lystedt Law For Today’s Physicians,” Sports Medicine Prevention/Training/Therapy Head Injury to Upper Extremity. Overlake Medical Center (2012)
- “Legal Issues with Concussion Management,” 63rd Annual Meeting & Clinical Symposia. National Athletic Trainiers’ Association. St. Louis, MO (2012)
- “Mandating Player Safety by Increased Accountability for Non-Compliance on the Sidelines and Exam Room,” The 6th Annual National Summit on Sports Concussion & Other Athletic Injuries. Los Angeles, CA (2012)
- “The Zackery Lystedt Law,” Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems Leadership Forum, Seattle (2012)
- “Concussions: Issues Above and Away from the Playing Field,” Presenter, AAPM&R 72nd Annual Assembly, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (2011)
- “The Zackery Lystedt Law,” Presenter, Concussion Prevention and Education Summit, Yakima Medical Society Association (2011)
- “Testifying at Deposition and Trail: Effectively Presenting Your Treatment and Patient Injuries,” Presenter, Washington State Chiropractic Association Fall Convention (2011)
- “Apportioning Preexisting Conditions and New Trauma: Understanding the Core Cases from the Washington Supreme Court and the Impact for Chart Notes, Narrative Reports and Testimony,” Presenter, Faculty of Naturopathic Physicians Meeting, Bastyr Center for Natural Health, (2011)
- “What it Takes to Win a Traumatic Brain Injury Case,” Ninth Annual Pacific Northwest Brain Injury Conference Portland, Oregon. Brain Injury Association of Oregon (2011)
- “Management of Sports Concussion Injuries with Special Reference to the Zackery Lystedt Law ” Stanley A. Herring M.D. & Richard H. Adler J.D. Seattle Spine & Sports Medicine Bi-Monthly Seminars (2011)
- “Forensic Physiatry: The Basics of Expert Testimony and Life Care Planning,” American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Annual Assembly, Seattle, WA (2010)
- “Winning the Traumatic Brain Injury Case: Using Lay Witnesses, Illustrations, New Laws, Imaging, Neuropsychologists, and Other Practice Pointers,” Eighth Annual Pacific Northwest Brain Injury Conference Portland, Oregon. Brain Injury Association of Oregon (2010)
- “Legislation: The Story of the Zackery Lystedt Law – Youth Sport Concussions: Education to Legislation.” Continuing Medical Education (CME). University of Washington Medicine. Stan Herring, MD & Richard Adler, JD
- “Proven and Effective Ways to Illustrate Evidence in a Traumatic Brain Injury Case,” Brain Injury Association of Washington, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Seattle, WA (2010)
- “Handling the Traumatic Brain Injury Case” Brain Injury Association of Washington, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Seattle, WA (2008)
- “The Winning Focus for Your Traumatic Brain Injury Case – Including Use of Before and After Lay Witnesses,” Brain Injury Association of Washington, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Seattle, WA (2008)
- “An Overview of the Challenges of Brain Injury Litigation: Preparation, Presentation and Roles,” Contemporary Forums (2005)
Legal Case Preparation: Screening TBI Cases; Working with your TBI Client and Family; Effectively Navigating Obstacles in TBI Cases, Contemporary Forums (2005)
- “E.R.I.S.A. Subrogation Issues” Brain Injury Association of Washington, CLE (2004)
- “Practice Tips on Handling Traumatic Brain Injury Cases” Brain Injury Association of Washington and Washington State Trial Lawyers Association, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Seattle, WA (2002)
- “Medical-Legal Aspects of Advising the MVA Patient for Today’s Consulting ER Nurse,” Highline Hospital (2001)
- “Who Pays and When? List Care Planning Initiatives,” Evergreen’s Head Injury Re Entry Center (1999)
- “An Attorney’s Role in the Rehabilitation Team of the Spine-Injured Patient,” NeuroSpine Conference, Everett General Hospital (1993)
- “Using Forensics to Describe Brain Injuries to a Jury,” Pacific Northwest Neuropsychological Association, Harborview Medical Center (1993)
Automotive Medicine. Northwest Hospital, (1990)
After my husband and my self were run over by a careless driver in a tractor trailer on our motorcycle, by the grace of god we both survived. Richard Adler was highly recommended to us by someone who had already experienced his services and were beyond pleased. Richard and his team worked on our case diligently. We were consented and kept informed throughout the entire process. They were very compassionate and comforting to both of us during this frightening and devastating experience. Its with great confidence and client satisfaction we would highly recommend Richard Adler and his team they provide EXCEPTIONAL advocacy with heart felt compassion.
Richard is absolutely the #1 Super Attorney!!! He made a very stressful situation much more bearable. Without his thorough work and assistance, I’m not sure where we would be with our personal injury cases. We thank him from the bottom of our hearts for his tireless work and the fantastic outcome for both of us. I would highly recommend Richard to anyone that needs representation for a personal injury matter. Richard, thank you again!!! We love you!!!
I highly recommend Richard Adler and his team for whatever personal injury needs you may have.
I was rear ended by a drunk driver and though my car sustained minimal damage, I sustained a torn rotator cuff. Richard was honest with me from the very first conversation. From that first conversation, through the recent, successful outcome Richard and his staff where attentive, honest and always put my wellbeing first and foremost. I appreciated that they kept me informed every step of the way. They had answers for me before I had the questions. After every surgery Richard and his staff checked with me to see how I was and reassure me that things fine and were being handled. All I had to worry about was recovery.
Richard and the staff were successful at crossing every T and dotting every I. They built a solid case with no holes. This resulted in a successful outcome without going to court.
There is only problem that I can identify and that is that I won’t be meeting with Richard and his staff on a regular basis.
I cannot recommend Richard Adler and his team highly enough. Intelligent, professional and compassionate is an amazing combination.
Richard and his support staff have just concluded an injury case for me that has been ongoing for 6 years. From the very beginning I felt safe in his hands, having been referred to him by my parents, who also had Richard’s help several years prior for an auto-accident. Whether I was working with Richard himself, or with Janet or Karla, I was always well informed and knew that my case was a priority. Richard’s results are above and beyond what I imagined and I can’t ever thank him enough, as I wouldn’t be able to afford the treatment I needed and still need if it weren’t for him. In addition to protecting my rights financially, Richard also was able to guide me through my treatment using his vast knowledge of car-accident related injuries. I know that I would have never considered seeking help from a few of the fields he referred me to simply out of my own ignorance, including cognitive and balance therapies to help with my brain injury, chiropractic, massage therapy, and physical therapy.
Though I am relieved and grateful for Richard’s work to be done, I am also saddened that our relationship will mostly be at an end. I feel that he has not just been my attorney, but also a friend with sincere concern for my well being. Having someone I trusted and believed in was pivotal for me, as my accident occurred while I was still in high school and very unaware of how to react to such an event in my life. With his help I am now better prepared to protect myself in the future and able to continue the treatment I still need.
Richard Adler comes with my highest recommendation! In my opinion, there isn’t anyone more genuine, more brilliant, or more successful in his field.
At age 86, my mother was in a car accident sustaining multiple serious injuries. There was no way I was going to deal with all that was forthcoming on my own but the task of deciding upon an attorney seemed daunting. After talking to several attorneys, I contacted Richard. We had several phone calls and email exchanges prior to my committing to his service. After our first in-person meeting, my concerns disappeared. His knowledge, understanding of the law and genuine concern for my mother were evident from the very beginning. He and his staff did a wonderful job keeping us informed at every step as we navigated all that was needed with the insurance companies. I felt more like I was a member of their team than just another client. In the end, I believe they were able to exact the best settlement achievable. Words that come to mind when I describe my experience – professional, thorough, knowledgeable, experienced, trustworthy and compassionate. I would have no reservation at all referring my friends or family to Richard for his services. I told my wife that if I am ever in a serious accident, call the doctor first and Richard second!
My family and I were in a car accident. We sustained life-long injuries. I started out with one lawyer and was not getting results. Frustrated with the lack of progress I asked around for recommendations in the professional arenas and Richard Adler’s name kept surfacing. I called Richard and was fortunate to have him accept my case. He was at a disadvantage not having my case from the beginning but that did not deter him. He and his staff went to work and Richard’s approach was night and day from my previous counsel. I was kept informed of the progress he made and whenever I had a question his staff were quick to respond. Due to Richard’s perseverance and thoroughness, the outcome of my case worked in my favor. I am very pleased. Mr. Adler is a kind and caring person who during my time of duress was able to relieve me of some of my legal concerns. Would I recommend him? Absolutely! You want this attorney on your side. Richard Adler’s card is in all of our vehicles and if we ever have another accident we will be calling Richard. Insurance companies have many attorneys. They have good attorneys; Richard Adler is definitely better!
I would like to recommend Richard as a friendly, experienced and a trustworthy personal injury and auto accident Lawyer, who really cares about well being of his customers.
I have had a personal injury as a result of an auto accident in May 2005. At that time I was almost 8 month pregnant with my child and was very stressed out by insurance companies who wanted to “close” the case as soon as possible. I definitely needed some legal assistance to go through the challenge of dealing with the insurance companies plus to be able to pay to the medical providers.
My friend recommended contacting Richard Adler who helped her to settle her case. Richard took his time to listen to me and to learn all little details, and provided me with very clear information about the legal aspect of my case. The most important, he and his assistants took over the burden of dealing with the insurance companies so I could focus on my new-born child.
It took longer that I expected to settle the case, however I can not imaging doing it by myself without Richard’s help.
I would like to recommend Richard Adler to anyone who needs a professional to handle their personal injury case.
About 3 years ago I was involved in a car accident that left me with some back, neck, shoulder and head injuries with my car totaled…… As a result of the concussion I had in the accident, I was left with a mild traumatic brain injury which made me feel dizzy, confused, and somewhat unable think straight for months afterwards.
I had the good fortune of being referred to Richard Adler via word of mouth……….I discovered his deep knowledge and expertise in handling brain injury claims. In fact, he’s written a solid easy to understand primer on the subject which I would recommend to anyone who has had a head trauma.…. He did a very thorough and professional job in guiding me in our efforts to support my case and when the time came, he prepared an excellent demand letter for the insurance companies. Both of whom settled via his negotiations for the full policy limit amounts without the cost or effort of a trial. Having read other legal briefs before, I was impressed with the level of knowledge, detail, preparation, persuasiveness, and thoroughness of his demand letter which reflect the talents of the man who prepared it. …. He gave it his full efforts to drive it to a successful conclusion. Now that we have settled and although his fee is complete, he continues to negotiate with the medical providers to reduce their subrogation claims on the settlement in order to help me get the most net proceeds from it. An extra effort for which I very much appreciate.
In the end, he negotiated a settlement with the offender’s insurance company and my insurance company (for uninsured/underinsured motorist) for both full policy limits which by far exceeded my expectations in the matter. Working with Atty. Adler is the most satisfying instance of any of those I’ve had dealing with the legal/judicial system. …. I’m a very satisfied client and would recommend Atty. Adler to anyone who needs a top notch personal injury lawyer.
Richard Adler provided outstanding representation for my husband regarding the MTBI [Mild Traumatic Brain Injury] he received January 21, 2006 in an automobile accident. We were faced with having to sue our own insurance company in order to receive the full coverage provided under our policy. It is our certain belief that without Richard’s representation we would never have received the compensation my husband was entitled to under our coverage. We found Richard Adler to be experienced, thorough, capable, helpful and efficient in preparing and moving our case forward. He knows how to succeed! He was prepared to do whatever was necessary to achieve the maximum compensation possible for my husband’s injuries. When a person is injured, just dealing with the recovery process is overwhelming. Difficulties facing an insurance company, even your own insurance company, without the excellent representation we received would have been impossible. We have no reservations recommending Richard Adler to anyone who has suffered a traumatic injury and is in need of outstanding legal representation.
Genuine, Professional and Caring. Who can say that about their Lawyer. I can! I’ve always heard bad things about lawyers. Richard is different. He really loves his job and likes to help people. I went to Richard Adler about a year and a half ago. I would not have gotten the medical help I needed without him (91 thousand dollars worth of medical that is). I am now back to skiing and mountain biking. Through out the year, I was always informed about what was going on. They always seemed to be working on my case. My case was recently settled at the maximum amount! Richard also gave me some really great financial advise that I really appreaciate! Mary-Ellen (Richard’s Para legal) was also great. She was always there for any questions or concerns. I would recomend Richard Adler to any friend or family member.